There are many laws that exist in each branch in the field of law. Therefore, when it comes to introducing a new law or changing an old one, there are many steps that make it easy for the public to feel safer in a society. If you are amongst people who wish to get a law changed, there are certain very easy steps that can allow you to do so.
Before you get into the process, there are certain things that you need to do, like research. You might even have to contact a legislator and start the process. Do not think that everything will happen immediately, the process in itself takes a lot of time. Following are the steps that you need to follow in order to achieve your goal:
- Before you can do anything you have to conduct proper research over the law you have a problem with. It is important to see what the options available for you under jurisdiction are, you must also see if something else sees the same issue from a different perspective. This will only help your case more.
- Once you have identified the law, you must know which government was responsible for introducing it in the first place. This can either be the national or the state law. This will prepare you for the next steps.
- Check if a similar case was brought up before and undone, this will help you with your case.
- Schedule an appointment with your solicitor only once you think the idea that you have is solid enough and means something.
- Go and meet your legislator at his work place instead of booking and arranging meetings at notorious places like the bar or even at a restaurant. This way, he will be more comfortable talking to you.
- Instead of looking at the change of law from your own perspective, see it from your legislator’s point of view. Book constant meetings with your legislator to keep him updated with the progress. Also, always inform him of the agenda of the meeting so both of you can come prepared with possible arguments and issues.
- Make sure that you have a legislation prepared to show your legislator. If you think that a petition can support your will to change the law, it is important that you get it signed and show your legislators the photocopies. If the petition is not anonymous, show your legislator the names of the people who agree with you. This will only support your argument and tell your legislator that you have not just done your research but also your homework.
- Keep your relationship with the legislator pleasant during the entire process. If you threaten them too much or if you remind them that you are the one paying them you might not get the support you are looking for. You will only distance yourself from them which might cost you your cause.
- It is important that you leave a decent impression on your legislator to ensure they know you mean business.
With this you can easily change a law that you and the public seem to have a problem with.
Mark Hannigan is the author of this article. He refers to experts like DJP Solicitors to help the clients follow proper ways to change a law.