MCA (Master in Computer Application) is a three year degree course. It is intended as a professional qualification, rather than an academic degree. Nowadays, MCA is a popular course among students wishing to pursue their careers in IT industry. The main objective of the MCA course is to prepare graduate students for productive careers in software industry and academia. The programme is application based rather than theoretical. It focuses on software development and its application to solve mathematical, computing, communications/networking and commercial problems. People usually earn well in this field.
All universities follow almost same criteria for admission to the course with few exceptions in percentage and subject requirements. Mathematics is mandatory at Higher Secondary level to pursue MCA. Some institutes mandate Physics and chemistry for the eligibility.
- Any Bachelor’s degree of minimum 3 years duration from a recognised university with minimum 50% marks. (Varies from 50% to 60%)
- Mathematics as one of the subject at 10+2 level or graduation level, (according to different universities)
Some institutes may require Science subjects physics and chemistry along with mathematics at 10+2 level.
Many colleges/institutes take admissions based on the state level technical entrance exams. Some institutes hold their personal entrance exams. There are generally two modes of admissions:
- Admission through state/institute entrance exams with a valid score card.
- Admission through Management quota (in some institutes) through the merit list based on the marks obtained in the qualifying examination.
Jobs or Career Options After MCA
The IT industry welcomes MCA degree holders with open hands. There are numerous well paying job options for an MCA graduate. Keeping in mind that MCA is a professional degree, the IT industry has jobs for MCA degree holders like:
- Software developer/progammer/engineer: This is a usual job of coding. Software developers design, test and maintain new software systems. This is the most popular job.
- Hardware Engineer: They are engaged in the production and testing of hardware equipment.
- Software consultant: A software consultant is responsible for evaluating a business, its processes and provides software solutions and other feedback to drive the business efficiency.
- System analyst: They study the current situations and demands of the market, and work accordingly to evaluate the software systems and find solutions for better efficiency.
- Web Designer: A Web Designer/Developer is responsible for designing and developing websites.
- Both, government and private sectors require MCA professionals. Other significant jobs include Technical writer, troubleshooter, Project Manager etc.
Best MCA College in Delhi
Delhi and NCR, being at the heart of the country is the hot destination for IT companies. It is home to some top notch IT companies of the country. And the Institutes here offer great opportunities for their students to get a good exposure and placements. Here is a list of the best MCA colleges in Delhi and NCR:
- Lal Bahadur Shastri Institute of Management (LBSIM)
- School of Computer & Systems Sciences – Jawaharlal Nehru University
- Institute of Information Technology of Management (IITM)
- Jagan Institute of Management Studies
- CPJ Institute of Management and Technology
- World College of Technology & Management
- Department of Computer Science, Faculty Of Mathematical Sciences, DU
- HMR Institute of Technology and Management
- Bhai Parmanand Institute of Business Studies
- Guru Nanak Institute of Management