It is customary to have carpets inside living rooms, dining rooms and bedrooms. Hallways too are part of your home and deserve floor covering. The problem is that hallways are narrow and long and standard carpets or rugs will not fit into such areas. This is where hall runners come in useful. The hall runners can be used to cover floors in the hallways and the stairs for seamless continuity. There are good reasons to cover hall floors and stairs with runners.
Why use hall runners?
- If you have rugs and carpets in all areas of your home then ignoring hallways can make them look rather bare and under furnished. Hall runners are cheap and will serve to beautify homes and provide seamless continuity.
- Affordably priced hall runners also provide safety, especially if you have elderly people and children at home. They prevent accidents.
- Install hall runners and make your hallways look immaculate and in pristine condition besides reducing the cleaning effort.
- Beautiful hall runners add to the aesthetics of your home and give you pride of ownership.
- Hallway runners will clear dust and dirt from entering your bedrooms and other rooms.
- Of course, it goes without saying that runners help reduce sound and provide a measure to keep your rooms warm and insulated.
Choosing the right hall runner
- Most hallways are about 3 feet in width. Length may vary. In such cases you will find hallway runners available in lengths to suit with appropriate width. The width that is right for your hall could be from 2 feet 3 inches to 2 feet 6 inches to leave a small margin on either side.
- Next, you consider the material and pattern of the runner carpet for your hallway. Synthetic materials like nylon, polypropylene and acrylic are best since they can be cleaned easily. They are also inexpensive and available in a variety of patterns and textures. When it comes to designs you can have simple plain pattern or more exotic Persian type florals. Florals and patterned types are better at hiding dirt marks. As for textures, woven dense pile feels luxurious underfoot and helps deaden sound.
- Then, there is the type of end treatment to consider. You can pick cut only runner, runner with ends capped or fringe and capped runners or fringed ends. Fringed ends do look stylish.
- As for color, you must decide whether you wish to brighten up the hallway or have a muted look. This in turn decides the colors you choose.
- Buy from a supplier of hall runners who will customize ends with fringes or serge it in colors you prefer.
Installing it right
- Pick the right width. Ideally there should be a margin of about 2 to 3 inches along the length. If the hall is rather wide you can leave a margin of 6 inches.
- The length must be considered with care. Positioning near doorways requires care. It must be placed in such a way that it covers 80% of the width of the hallway. .
- Fitting the hall runner to the floor is simple enough. It is not advisable to use nails or screws. Use silicone caulk instead and lay down three stripes lengthwise with appropriate separation. Edge lines should be at least one inch inside the width of the hall runner. Let the silicone dry and set for 10-15 minutes and even the surface with a utility or putty knife. Allow it to set further and then roll the hall runner careful in a straight line. Check for straight-line and alignment before pressing it firmly into place.
Once your hall runner is in place, it will transform the looks of your interiors and it willimpress not only your family is sure to mesmerize visitors as well!